Vienna BioCenter Core Facilities GmbH (VBCF) is a non-profit organization providing scientific infrastructure operated, maintained and developed by highly qualified experts. We are situated at the Vienna BioCenter (VBC), one of Europe’s leading multi-disciplinary biomedical research campuses.
The PlantS Facility provides plant growth and phenotyping services for the researchers at the VBC and beyond. We operate 22 high-tech phytotrons which are capable of simulating a wide range of global environments and abiotic plant stress conditions. One of these phytotrons is equipped with an automated high-throughput (HT) plant phenotyping system that monitors the growth and health of the plants through a large set of parameters extracted from RGB images taken regularly over the course of an experiment. The HT phenotyping capabilities will be further extended via the recently approved FFG infrastructure project “PHENOPlant”, where plants will be transported on conveyor belts from highly controlled growing areas to state-of-the-art sensors (including e.g. hyperspectral-, chlorophyll fluorescence-, thermal- and 3D-imaging).
We are looking for a Phenotyping Specialist to join our team for the operation of our phenotyping platforms (PHENOTron, PHENOBox and PHENOPlant).
- Daily operation and care of our phenotyping platforms: experiment design, project realization, platform maintenance and further development
- HT phenotyping method development and validation
- Data management, analysis and interpretation in collaboration with our Data Scientist
- Custom image analysis using the LemnaTec OS software
- Implementation of new phenotyping technologies and services
- Contribution and further development of the APPN initiative, active participation in international plant phenotyping initiatives and networks especially ESFRI EMPHASIS
- MSc, PhD or other extensive experience working in plant biology, plant(eco)physiology, or plant biotechnology
- Experience in sensor-based plant phenotyping (especially chlorophyll fluorescence/PAM imaging and hyperspectral imaging) or even in the hands-on operation of HT plant phenotyping platforms is a big asset
- Experience in large-scale (phenotyping) experiment design, method development, validation and statistics (basic knowledge of R is an asset)
- Knowledge of standard image processing and image analysis techniques and related tools is an asset
- Experience in working in multidisciplinary teams and basic knowledge of project management and quality management systems is an asset
- Excellent soft skills, communication and (scientific) writing skills in English (working language)
This position offers a highly professional and stimulating environment with very attractive company benefits and is available from July 1st, 2019. The salary is planned with minimum 2.400 EUR gross/month (38hrs) and can be increased depending on experience and qualifications.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, a full CV and contact information of two references by May 31st, 2019 to Jakub Jez.