Child Care Center
At the VBC Child Care Center, we are proud to offer professional, reliable, and flexible child care for all Vienna BioCenter employees.
Our highly motivated team of qualified pedagogues works every day to create a loving and caring atmosphere for children from 3 months to 6 years of age. Our daycare is a positive and stimulating environment that provides everything a child’s heart desires.
IN OUR WORK, WE PUT SPECIAL EMPHASIS ON:
- More qualified personnel per group than required by Viennese law.
- Extended opening hours to cover the individual needs of parents: Monday to Friday from 7am to 6pm.
Our food is freshly prepared every day. Children over 1 year receive breakfast, lunch, and an afternoon snack. Additionally, fresh vegetables and fruits are freely available to the children all day. The menu varies with the seasons.
We believe that in this way, children will learn about the diversity of food items and develop a taste for fresh food. We can also accommodate special dietary requirements (e.g., vegetarian, kosher).
We are convinced that daily exercise and outdoor activities are the optimal way to develop children’s motor skills. Therefore, our daily schedules include the following:
- Weather permitting, we play outside in our garden or in parks and playgrounds nearby.
- For indoor sports activities, we provide a large, fully equipped gym for the children to practice gymnastics, yoga, climbing, and ball sports.
Elizabeth (Betsy) Higgins-Pösinger is an English native speaker, Montessori teacher, and master craftsman of carpentry.
- She joins the Child Care team once a week to introduce English rhymes, songs, finger games, and stories. Older children can create their own little wooden masterpiece.
- We are implementing recent research on language learning and playfully introduce our children to English in the ‘language-sensitive’ phase of brain development. This will not only improve language learning in general, but has positive effects on overall learning abilities.
We consider our nursery an institution of education. It is our aim to create learning opportunities and, at the same time, make children feel completely comfortable and secure in their daytime environment.
To do this, we actively promote and stimulate:
- RESPECT – Respectful and caring behavior
- SELF-ESTEEM – Individuality, independence, and democratic decision making
- LANGUAGE – Active speaking, playful introduction to foreign languages in the ‘language-sensitive’ phase
- CREATIVITY – Painting, handicraft with various materials, and visits to theatres, puppet shows, and cinema
- PROSOCIAL BEHAVIOR – Celebrating together, learning from each other, and acting out conflict situations in non-aggressive ways
- OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES – Playing outdoors in parks and playgrounds and organizing excursions to bakeries, museums, or farms.
We follow the principles of Montessori pedagogy. Children are accepted as they are; they are treated with respect and accompanied along their developmental paths in loving and caring ways. Children are helped to obtain individual independence – following the Montessori principle ‘Help me to do it myself’.
We embrace the national and cultural diversity of our children and acknowledge this in our daily work. Children’s activities are often group-overlapping, so that children can choose activities according to their developmental level.
Furthermore, we offer special activities depending on the child’s age:
Babies from the age of 3 months: Individual schedules to include breast feeding, nappy changing, and sleeping
Children from 1 year of age: More fixed daily routine with breakfast, morning circle, lunch, midday nap, afternoon activities
Children from 3 years of age: More fixed daily routine with two-phase learning concept of ‘research and discovery’
Our aim is to make your start at the VBC Child Care Center as simple and smooth as possible; nevertheless, there is a formal procedure to fulfill the legal requirements of the City of Vienna and to facilitate the organization of our day-to-day work:
1. Non-binding registration at the Child Care Center: As soon as you know that you want to bring your child to our Child Care Center, please contact Dagmar Mirek to arrange a tour and discuss your preferred starting date. At that point, please also hand in the completed form A, so that we can place a reservation for you. If you come from abroad, please forward the form via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT A BINDING RESERVATION.
2. Apply for a registration number (“Kindergartennummer”) at the Magistrate (MA 10): For enrollment in any child care establishment in Vienna you need a registration number from the Magistrate in Vienna. To receive this number, just fill in form B and either mail it via regular post or fax, or hand it to the responsible service center in person. The contact information is provided in the form.
3. Binding registration at the VBC Child Care Center: Please arrange an appointment with Dagmar Mirek to sign the binding registration and agree on the starting date. To finalize the registration procedure, please bring a deposit of €70 and a registration fee of €70. This appointment also gives you the opportunity to meet our teachers and to clarify any questions you might have before your start.
If you have any questions concerning our Child Care Center or the registration procedure, please don’t hesitate to contact Dagmar Mirek at any time!
The Kindergarten fee is graduated by the child’s age:
- 0 – 1.5 years: €305 per month
- 1.5 – 3 years: €101 per month
- 3 – 6 years: €75 per month
As soon as your child starts eating solid food in the Child Care Center, there is an additional fee for food of €125 per month.
Not working at VBC or MQM:
Prices for families living outside Vienna and/or not working at the Vienna BioCenter/MQM are available on request.
In the nursery, we adhere to the rules of transparent communication to ensure that parents are well-informed about their child’s development. Additionally, we offer various ways for parents to get involved:
- Visiting mornings
- Celebrations, parties, excursions with parents
- Parents’ evenings
We see ourselves as partners of parents in the elementary education and care of their children. Thus, depending on parents’ needs, our pedagogues can offer various forms of counseling and support. For more information and support options, please visit the Wiener Kinderfreunde homepage.